I’m back from my little trip around South Gippsland but haven’t had time to organise the information about the new artists I have discovered. So to keep your minds active let's see how you go with the quiz on the Brueghels.
- In which century did Pieter Bruegel the Elder live?
- The Brueghels were of Flemish origin which broadly defined refers to people who are members of a Germanic ethnic group native to Flanders (in modern Belgium) but who speak Dutch or any of its dialects. Where did Pieter Bruegel the Elder die?
- This is a painting by Pieter Bruegel the Elder showing his love of the mountains of which country? Italian Landscape.
- Name some of the other subject matter or themes used by Pieter Brueghel the Elder in his paintings.
- Pieter Bruegel the Elder was influenced by a relatively well known painter named Hieronymus who?
- Pieter Bruegel the Elder married Mayken van Aelst. What occupation did her father have?
- Pieter Beuegel the Elder has two sons-Pieter Brueghel the Younger and Jan Brueghel the Elder. Which one devoted most of his career to copying his father’s work? What subject matter did the other son mainly paint?
- Who was Mayken Verhulst and why was she important in terms of the Brueghel family of artists.
- This is a painting by David Teniers 11. Who is the child in this painting? Who is the woman in the painting and what was her relationship to Pieter Brueghel the Elder.
- Who painted this picture and in which movie did it appear?.
- For bonus points. Who picked up the awful error I made in the information about the Brueghel marriages? In one of the Blogs I erroneously married one of the Brueghels off to his mother!! Which one? Tell you tomorrow. If you didn't pick it up when it was first published you have missed out because the error has been rectified.